Frequently Asked Questions about LotFotL’s CSA program
Q: What if I forget to pick up my share?
A: While we are not in a position to replace missing shares, we sympathize with you in your forgetful moment. It is best to contact your drop site ASAP to see if they can save your share for you. The sooner you call the better your chances.
- PICKUP SITE TITLE / HOURS / CITY / CONTACT INFO
- Quinney Farm-Home 08:00am to 09:00pm Elkhorn (920)-318-3800
- Good Harvest Market 12:00pm to 07:45pm Pewaukee (262)-544-9380
- Cafe Manna 11:00am to 07:30pm Brookfield (262)-790-2340
- Tess 02:00pm to 07:00pm Milwaukee (414)-964-8377
- Mukwonago-Anne Marie’s house 01:30pm to 06:30pm Mukwonago (262)-378-9254
- Bay View – Todd & Rae’s House (Bay View) 1:00pm to 7:30pm (sign into your CSA account)
- Anodyne Coffee Roasting Company (Walkers Point on Bruce St.) 03:00pm to 8:00pm (414)-763-1143
- Hales Corner – Jarrette’s House – Northridge Trl, Hales Corners – 12pm-7:00pm
- Wauwatosa 107th St. & Garfield Ave 01:00pm to 08:00pm firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. 262-573-1891
- Pierce St. Urban Ecology Center. 1pm to 7pm. firstname.lastname@example.org or (414) 431-2940.
- Choice CSA: Tippecanoe Church (Bay View) 262-951-0794 (Saturday)
- Choice CSA: Urban Ecology Center (Riverside Park) 262-951-0794 (Tuesday)
Q: What if I am going on Vacation and I can’t pick up my share?
A: Traditional CSA: No Problem! Simply fill out this form with the date(s) you’ll be on vacation. LotFotL requires all vacation requests to be submitted by the Sunday before that delivery would have been made.
Choice CSA: Members in the ‘Choice Program’ should communicate with the farmer about vacation weeks and adjust how much they take on the week before they are gone or the week after they come back. Making sure to communicate this in advance will help us to bring the right amount of food to the site each week.
Q: What is a Make-Up Share?
A: Traditional CSA: A “Make-Up Share” is a make up box that is sent to our members to replace a box that was put on hold at an earlier date. When you are scheduled to receive a “Make-Up Share” you will see it listed after your name on the pick up list. This means we have sent your replacement box. If you pick up weekly and have ordered your make-up share, you will see your share listed on the pick up list in addition to “make-up share”. This means we have sent 2 boxes for you. If you are supposed to get eggs or chickens with your share, they will be listed after your name. For our Choice CSA program see FAQ’s on that page.
A: Choice CSA: After letting your farmer know your plan in advance you can plan to bring home extra food either the week before or the week after you are going to be gone.
Q: Do I have to pay everything all at once or can I make payments?
A: You can choose to either pay all at once or make payments. At the time of sign up you will be required to make a down payment. After that you can set up a payment schedule or send us the remainder of your balance before your first delivery date.
Payment Options Include:
- Pay by Check (no fee)- Down payment due at the time of payment. Remainder due before your first delivery. Self managed payments are fine as long as the total due is received before your first delivery.
- Dwolla (no fee)- This allows you to easily pay online and have the money deducted directly from your bank account, saving the farm pricey processing fees that come with credit cards. Down payment due at the time of sign up and remainder due before your first delivery.
- Member Assembler Payments (3.5% online payment fee)- This allows you to pay with a credit card and set up monthly payments.
- Automated Payments– Choose Member Assembler Payments (credit/debit card) to set up automatic payments for your CSA subscription. Early bird sign ups can set up 3 payments between now and the end of 2014. Beginning in 2015 monthly payments can be scheduled.
Q: What share is best for me?
A: This is a difficult question because we are all so different. The good news is that if you feel like you picked the wrong size we will let you switch. Weekly shares are designed for families OR folks that eat and prepare veggies on a daily basis. Biweekly shares would be good for a family that has a more typical pedestrian lifestyle, but makes time for a few home cooked meals per week OR singles or couples that eat at home more than 2 or 3 meals per week.
Q: How big is a share?
A: Traditional CSA: Full Shares have 8-12 items per week. Example: 1 melon, 2 heads of broccoli, 5 tomatoes, 1 bag of spinach,1 bunch of carrots, 3 cucumbers, 1 head of cabbage, 2 bell peppers. To view last years selection, you will find a list of newsletters that includes share contents on our CSA page.
Choice CSA: The size of your weekly take is really more up to you. You will decide how much of each item is right for you. That being said, the farm will need to ensure that everyone has access to what is available, so will put quantity suggestion and, occasionally, limits on some items.
Q: Can I change the day of delivery on my share?
A: No, we have to keep you on the same delivery schedule. If you need to miss a regularly scheduled delivery please put your share on hold.
Q: Can I visit the farm?
A: Yes! We welcome visitors. Please call in advance to schedule a time or watch for regularly scheduled farm events, such as our Bee Blessing Poluck in the Spring. You may also be interested in our Worker Share program where folks can work for their veggies out on the farm. Or, call to schedule a volunteer day on the farm.
Q: What if I need to cancel my share subscription?
A: Traditional CSA: We understand that sometimes life happens and you can’t plan for everything. Once you sign up for a share, we invest in seed, labor, equipment and put in a lot of time to grow your veggies for you. This is why our cancellation fee for a veggie share is $150 (chicken and egg shares are 25% of the cost of the share). To avoid a cancellation fee, we recommend trying to find someone to take over your share, kind of like you would if you needed to end a rental lease in an apartment. We are happy to transfer your share over to a new person and allow them to choose a new drop site if needed.
Choice CSA: We understand that sometimes life happens and you can’t plan for everything. Once you sign up for a share, we invest in seed, labor, equipment and put in a lot of time to grow your veggies for you. In the “Choice” CSA program the cancellation fee will be 1/8 of the total cost of your member program (i.e the cost of 1 month).
Q: Are you Organic?
A: We’re proud to announce that we’re now certified organic by MOSA, the Midwest Organic Services Association. For more information about organic certification click here. For more information about MOSA click here.
Q: What do you do to take care of the soil?
A: LotFotL appropriately participates in the soil community by:
- Increased soil health by adding organic matter to fields.
- Disease reduction in field by exercising proper rotations.
- Including cover crops and living mulches into field systems.
- Minimizing water waste through drip irrigation systems.
- Encouraging natural pest predation by maximizing beneficial insect populations
Q: What makes your CSA different or “better” than anyone else?
A: We make local EASY! We have CSA that works for you. Choose a program that fits your life; Traditional, Market, or Choice. Exceptional and fast customer service. You can put your share on hold and have it delivered on a later date. Online Farm store, to add items like seasonal fruit, meat, and honey to your weekly order.
Q: Can I change my share size?
A: Yes! If you feel that the size share you signed up for is not working for you, we are happy to make a one time switch to a different size.
Q: Do you offer Gift Certificates:
A: Yes! Email us at email@example.com to purchase a gift certificate to the farm.
Q: Where will my share be located at the pick up site? How do I go about picking up my share?
A: You will get detailed directions, including a short video, emailed to you the week before delivery begins. It will be important for you to look these over, as you are now part of a greater community. Your actions effect everyone. We need your help and cooperation in preventing mistakes. If you do not receive this email, please contact the farm. Click HERE view the CSA pick up details chart.