Potato Leek Soup with Fennel Tops
- 2 large organic baking potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 6-8 leeks, white parts only, washed and chopped (the more the merrier when it comes to the leeks as far as I’m concerned – feel free to use more than this if you have them handy!)
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock (if you use chicken, get the free range organic kind or make your own)
- 1 cup of whole organic milk (this is optional)
- 3 Tbsps olive oil or butter
- 2 Tbsps chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 Tbsps chopped cilantro
- 3-4 Tbsps chopped fennel tops
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the butter or oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the leaks and saute them until soft – 4-5 minutes. Add the potatoes and continue to saute until softened, another 8-10 minutes.
2. Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Cook until the vegetables are completely softened, about 20 minutes. Add the herbs and cook another 3-5 minutes.
3. Puree the soup in the pot using an immersion blender until completely smooth or to desired consistency.
4. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. Reheat if necessary and serve warm, garnished with more fennel leaves.