– 1 tsp mustard seeds
– 2 tsp urad dal
– 4-6 curry leaves (optional)
– 2 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
– 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
– 1 cup frozen green beans
– 1/2 green chili pepper, chopped
– 1 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp chutney powder
– 1/2 cup ground fresh coconut or unsweetened coconut powder
1. In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat until hot, but not smoking. Add mustard seeds, urad dal, and curry leaves. Cover and fry until mustard seeds pop and urad dal is golden brown, about 30 seconds.
2. Add cabbage and turmeric powder. Mix well. Continue cooking, uncovered, over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add green peas, chili pepper, salt and chutney powder. Stir well. Cover and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
4. When cabbage and peas are cooked, stir in coconut powder. Do not overcook the vegetables.
Recipe from Healthy South Indian Cooking by Alamelu Vairavan.