Yes, you read that correctly. Grilled cheese. In casserole form! It’s even a great way to sneak some veggies to those picky eaters, but ssshhh! don’t tell them!!
– Bread slices, amount will depend on the size pan you’re making
– Cheese(s) of choice (I used Gouda, Gruyere, and extra sharp cheddar)
– Vegetables of choice (broccoli would work amazingly, or any greens you have on hand)
– Kefir milk OR plain yogurt thinned out with milk
– Egg(s) (OPTIONAL)
- Grease your baking dish of choice (I used a 12″ cast iron skillet) and preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Layer bread slices along the bottom of your baking dish, covering as much of the bottom as possible.
- Layer cheese slices on top of your bread, again covering as much surface area as possible.
- Layer vegetables or greens in top of your cheese layer.
- Layer MORE CHEESE on top of your vegetables or greens.
- Layer additional bread slices on top of cheese and vegetables/greens, again covering as much surface area as possible.
- Pour Kefir milk or thinned out yogurt on top, enough to coat the bread and soak in a little, but not so much that it’s soggy. This will prevent the bread from becoming too crusty.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese melts.
- If you’re adventurous and you want to try it with egg(s), crack on the top and bake an additional 12 or so minutes, or until egg reaches desired doneness (personally, I prefer my yolks a little runny).