Winter Kale Vegetabe Stew with Rutabaga Noodles
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cut into noodles (or julienne)
- 3 C. roughly chopped kale
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 C. sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 t. red pepper flakes
- 1 C. carrot, diced
- 1 C. celery, diced
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 C. vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 t. thyme
- 1 t. oregano flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 C. red wine
1. Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Toss rutabaga noodles in oil and place on lined baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In a large pot, heat just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pot. Add the kale and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove kale from pot and return pot to stove.
3. Add one tablespoon of oil to the pot along with onions, garlic, red pepper flakes, carrots, and celery. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender.
4. Add tomatoes, broth, beans, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, red wine, and kale. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until stew thickens, stirring occasionally.
5. Once the stew is simmering, place rutabaga noodles into the oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked al dente. When done, place portions into bowls and set aside.
6. Once stew is cooked through, remove the pay leaf and spoon portions into bowls with rutabaga noodles. Garnish with parmesan cheese, if desired.
Recipe from inspiralized.com.