- 3 T butter or lard (did you know that lard is about 50% monounsaturated fat!?….that is the good stuff)
- 1 onion, chipped
- 1 bunch of turnips (scarlet, gold ball, purple,and hakurei will all work), cubed
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 5 cups broth
- 1 cup corn
- 3 carrots, grated
- 2-3 turnip or kohlrabi, grated
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk (or 1 1/3 cup milk)
- Heat fat on med-high heat, add onion, turnip, potato. Saute, making sure to cover the vegetables with fat.
- When onions are soft, add broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium-low, simmer for about 30 minutes. Puree the onion-turnip-potato mixture in a blender then bring back to the pot and keep simmering.
- Add corn and grated veggies and let simmer for 10 minutes more. If the soup is too thick, add 1/4 cup water or broth until the soup is to your liking. At the last minute add your milk. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with fresh arugula if you like.